You should know many things before you embark on the mission to change energy suppliers. Since the implementation of energy deregulation, customers from more than 15 states in the US have the power to choose the energy supplier they prefer and to negotiate energy rates that are more to their advantage. This all happened after the energy market’s deregulation led to more and more actors in the energy scheme.
If you live in one of those states, changing electricity suppliers can be done at any time. Some electricity contracts are non-binding, making termination completely free; others have a small fee if you decide to change before your current contract expires. To change energy suppliers, all you have to do is subscribe to a new offer with a provider that suits you best. Your new supplier will then be in charge of the energy generation part of your contract.
Source: Photo by Edar on Pixabay
What do you need to know before you change energy suppliers?
- If you change energy suppliers, sometimes the process can be completely free. Check in advance if you have current binding contracts with a cancelation fee. If you don’t know how to find this information, your old supplier has no cancellation fee.
- You don’t need to take any step to tell your previous company that you want to change energy suppliers. The termination is automatically managed as soon as you take out your new contract at the same address.
- As a customer, you have the power to choose your energy offers and supplier whenever you want; as long as you live in a deregulated energy state, as many times as you wish, you can even go back to just using your utility as your energy supplier.
- You don’t need to do any major works to change energy suppliers. There is no work or intervention to be carried out: no technical change on the line or change of meter is necessary. With no service disruption, you’ll still get your electricity through the wires and poles managed by your current utility company. There’s also no need to change your meter when you change energy suppliers.
- Make sure you compare the offers before you change energy suppliers. We offer an energy marketplace that does this job for you. Visit us and find out the best energy offer that suits your consumption habits.
- When you change energy providers, you have the power to change providers again, whenever you want, including returning to a supplier that you had previously left. There is no limit on the number of supplier changes, but there might be a minimum commitment period that’s stated on your initial contract. Make sure you check it out.
How to choose an energy company that fits you?
You still need to know how to choose them to change energy suppliers! Several elements will have to be considered, from the price of a kWh of electricity to customer reviews, including the options and rewards offered.
For a quick explanation, here’s a video that explains how to change energy suppliers:
First of all, it should be understood that the best supplier for electricity, or for gas, is the one that will be adapted to your needs, that is to say to your consumption habits and the characteristics of your household. There’s not a “one-size-fits-all” company; for this, it is necessary to take into account some particular criteria, such as:
- Your home’s size: if your place is small, it will need less energy, and the price and consumption per kWh will affect your energy bills from now on.
- The date of construction of your home: if the house is new, it will meet current insulation standards and therefore consume less energy.
- The type of heating (gas or electricity, central or individual)
- The number of people who live with you: the more people there are in the household, the more energy you’ll consume.
To this, we must add several other criteria that depend more on personal choices, such as the wish to:
- Choose an energy supplier with a green offer: be careful; a green electricity contract can be a little more expensive than a standard offer, but your biggest reward will be to know that your energy comes from a clean source of energy.
- Switch to a fixed-rate electricity plan: if you’re into planning and budget control, this might be it for you.
- Customer service: the customer service offered is essential; you’ll be talking with them for countless hours if things don’t go as planned. Let’s hope that’s not the case, but it’s better to safe than sorry. Read customer reviews; they will allow you to know the quality of customer service, an essential element when you want to change electricity supplier: go to forums or consumer association sites, the better business bureau, etc.
Source: Photo by Christin Hume from Unsplash
Ok, so what’s next?
To subscribe to a new electricity offer, you will have several means of contacting the supplier you have chosen: by phone, directly online, by filling out a request form, or by mail. Or, to make it simpler, you can visit our website and find an energy supplier in just a couple of clicks.
So if you want to change energy suppliers, and choose a new electric company, make sure you visit us. We will compare electricity providers to make sure we give you:
- The best rates
- Easy enrollment
- Full control of your costs with fixed rates
- No Hidden fees
- Exceptional customer service!
Do you want to learn more about how you can benefit from Energy Deregulation? Feel free to call us now at (833) 680-2025 or fill up the form on our website—one of our energy experts will be willing to help you with all the information you may need!